I heard of Cobra Pate through the Brooklyn Home Companion. A blog authoured by my dear old friend Katie and her mate Liz.
While I am yet to try what I anticipate to be delicious yummy goodness, (Tomato, Basil AND Almond Pate – is it a dream mama?!), the credentials of this pate are reason alone to pick up a pot.
Reason #1 : The source of the wickedly good ingredients:
- All herbs that went into the pates are from Garden of Eve, a certified organic producer from Suffolk County, NY.
- All spices from The Spice House in Chicago
- All oils are organic & sourced from Mountain Rose Herbs in Eugene, Oregon
- All nuts are organic, from The Garden Food Market in Greenpoint
- Maple Syrup from Oliverea Schoolhouse Maple in New Paltz, N.Y.
- Lavender from Alii Kula Lavender Farm in Kula, Maui
- Ginger Syrup from Morris Kitchen (a Greenpoint Food Market alum)
- Chai Spice Mix is handground and contains star anise, whole cloves, Jamaican whole allspice, True Ceylon cinnamon, black & green peppercorns, black & green cardamon
Reason #2: After you’re done, the packaging grows flowers!
Ok, well not literally…but the packaging *IS* completely biodegradable and compostable – say whaaat? Check it homes:
“ packaged in biodegradable and compostable containers made from sugarcane fiber left over after juice extraction. Normally, this residue is burned after pulping, thus creating air pollution. But the sugarcane fiber can be re-used, by being made into disposable products normally made from plastic or virgin paper. Containers are microwave and freezer safe; unbleached; fully compostable; and can handle hot liquids up to 200 Fahrenheit. Estimated home composting time: 2-4 months.”
Reason #3: It’s handmade in Brooklyn!
By Justin Bland of the Goddamn Cobras Collective and his compadres.
Reason #4: You don’t HAVE to pay ten bucks for it, you GET to pay ten bucks for it!
And really, there isn’t much BETTER you could do with a tenner in this economy! Think about it:
Support small brooklyn based business? CHECK
Aid the proliferation of Locavore-ism? CHECK
Stimulate your taste buds with some ‘real food’? CHECK!
Are you still sitting here?? Pick up a batch of either the Tomato, Basil and Almond or Maple, Lavender and Walnut pate at the Greenpoint Food Market or contact Justin for more info – firstname.lastname@example.org
images and facts from – brooklyn home companion